Mac Defender / Mac Protector fake antivirus for Mac OS X14th May 2011
To remove the program follow these instructions :
- Open Applications folder > Utilities > Activity Monitor, then make sure the drop-down menu at the top right of the window is set to “all processes.”
- Use the search field in Activity Monitor to search for MacProtector or MacDefender.
- Click on the MacProtector/MacDefender process. Click the “Quit Process” button. Click “Force Quit.”
- Drag the MacProtector program (installed in the Applications folder by default) to the Trash. Empty the Trash.
- Remove MacProtecter from the Login Items for your Account in the OS X System Preferences (if it exists).
To prevent such programs gaining access to your system:
- Uncheck the “Open safe files after downloading” option in Safari preferences
- Be careful with where you type your password
- Never believe anything you haven’t installed claiming to have found viruses on your computer (this applies to Mac and PC), especially on a website.